Friday, August 10, 2007

More Pizza Fun

The phone rang last night. It was a woman who was looking for the pizzeria for which we get more calls than they do. My simple "Hello" wasn't enough for this lady. She demanded to know whether it was Papa John's that she reached. When I told her she had the wrong number, she insisted that she didn't and demanded to speak to my manager.

I had no choice but to return to the phone, using the very same voice, and say "Hello this is Mark, how can I help you?"

She explained that she had called earlier and asked for another location's number - but that number wasn't working. I suggested, "You might want to consult the Internet."

"THE INTERNET? I DON'T HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION! WHY WON'T YOU JUST GIVE ME THE NUMBER," she insisted. I explained that we were "super busy" and that if she didn't have an Internet connection, she might want to let her "fingers do the walking" and look in her telephone book. I even explained that the poor telephone books have experienced such a downturn in popularity that they would be thrilled to be used. She was not amused.

"Are you serious???" was all she could muster up. I told her yes, and asked if she planned to place an order.

She asked if we delivered to Buckhead. Stifling raucous laughter, I said, "Oh no. That's too far. We don't deliver there." That's when she really lost it.

"Your address is Buckhead - and YOU DON'T DELIVER HERE?"

I didn't expect that. It became impossible for me to keep a straight face. I had to hang up.

All I wanted to do was take an order. I didn't plan on THIS. Managing an imaginary pizza joint ain't easy.

1 comment:

Actor100 said...

I'll take a pepperoni and sausage with extra cheese. You have to learn how to control yourself so you don't crack up on the phone.